Follow the passion...

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sailboats on the Sea

“Gonna rise up, find my direction magnetically...”

Perched 41 stories above the cool concrete and sea of dark suits and crisp shirts, I can't help but feel a bit like a cat basking in the sun in my lil' cubbie by the window. The South facing floor-to- ceiling windows makes the occasional moments of daydreaming quite the treat. Today is one of those days. In my 30 second staycation, my mind wanders past the immediate surroundings of Toronto's Financial District and the world of corporate marketing and obsession with e-blasts, all the way to the mass of slate blue lake in the not-so-far-off-distance.

I can't help but grin to myself as I see a triplet of little white sailboats emerge and almost dance around the harbour with visions of the summer to come, SURELY on their heads. Like tiny white flags signalling that the end is near, my smile creeps wider as that means the journey to begin the Year of Passion is fast approaching.

So as I begin the countdown to the exit from my pod-in-the-sky office job, I’ve begun the ultimate commitment to make this dream into a reality – opening my big gob and telling the fam, friends and some trusted colleagues.

Reactions have been a mixed: 1 cup some skepticism + a dash of concern + peppered with quite a few "Why New Zealand?"s and all wrapped up in a wildly supportive oven of loooooove.

Mum & Pops are onboard with ambiguous plans of return, although I will miss having my dear mumsy so close, she's a mere 25 minutes by train from where I am now.

Andrew, my increasingly risk-averse law-school brother, and his partner Janique had 2 priceless expressions on their faces when I shared the news (merci Skype).

Next up - my two sisters Kim & Lara, extended fam overseas, and of course: work.

AND...To those who have connected with me in some way with your thoughts about the whole kit'n'caboodle...WOW! Your kind words & support have really touched me; I just hope I can deliver the luscious and mind-expanding experiences I've been touting...crap.

In any case, here are some of my fav reviews (for better or worse):

· "Sounds good, but maybe just don't tell them [your work] about the whole "Year of Passion" thing..."

· "I´m very happy for you Vane...normally people only complains about how boring the job is and almost no one does something about it."

· "I'm sure that while you're out chasing passion, it will chase and find you too..."

I guess that’s the thing about dreaming, musing, pondering, debating a new idea or plan…it’s a lovely distraction that can easily float away; just like the wind in the sails of those boats. However, when we speak up about it, we make it real. And thank goodness that is the case, because at the end of the day...

Nothing changes if nothing changes.


1 comment:

  1. I felt like I was looking out the window at those sailboats with you!

    Mother Nature seems to enjoy taunting us from outside our glass cages, almost as if to say "you built this industrious life, but look what you are missing."

    Can't wait to see where the adventure takes you!

    ReplyDelete