Follow the passion...

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

2 weeks notice...to Salzburg?


Toronto was blessed today with an unseasonably balmy summer day of 25 degrees. Waking up before my alarm to the birds singing (yes that's right - the non-pigeon type do exist in the city), all to the blue backdrop of a spring's morning sky and red brick of the neighbours house. As I peddled me and my favourite blue summer dress into work, feeling the warm air on my skin, and wind in my newly blond-y locks, I smiled at the opportunities that currently lay on the doorstep. Excitement and adventure is on the menu and I can hardly wait.

Monday was big. It was the first real big step towards the YOP. Lighting the fuse as I see it. I gave my 2 weeks notice. No job offer in hand, no plans made, no solid next steps: which one might be able to imagine could be anxiety inducing for the typical risk averse crowd at a Big 4 Accounting firm. Can I get a "Hollaaaa"?

But amongst the ambiguous quasi plans for the future, there lies one that has captured my heart and soul, am beginning to feel like Charlie with the Golden tickets - although in my case, am unsure if the ticket I've got is just a raincheck for passion, or if this is it:

It's called the Sustainable Futures Academy (SFA) and its in Salzburg, Austria.


I would be Project Assistant working closely with one of the leading minds in environmental sustainability, Leith Sharp: the women who 5 years ago, started the Green Campus Initiative @ Harvard and has established herself as one of the leading minds the global environmental sustainability arena.

So last Saturday morning, I had a ridiculously positive first interview over Skype with the Director of Education at the Salzburg Global Seminar (the NGO that is starting the SFA): Jochen. Born and raised in Germany, very close to the Dutch border, Jochen and I chatted for almost 2 hours about the SFA, and what the Project Assistant (me!) would be doing. And the short answer is that it is EVERYTHING I envisioned as an ideal vehicle for the YOP:

a) international and global work environment
b) focused on the environmental sustainability - and at the level to have real impact
c) working with a small group that are passionate, forward thinking and energized about how they spend their days

oh and did I mention I would be living, working and staying at the same place where Julie Andrews & the Von Traps lived in the Sound of Music???

And I quote....
"Located just outside of the heart of Salzburg, the original 18th centrury rococo castle lies like a jewel in a dream-like setting. It looks back at a plentiful past as a birthplace of the Salzburg festival and location of the world-famous film "The Sound of Music." The castle is American private property and hence not publicly accessible. Only guests of the house may enjoy the pleasure of 11 suites in the castle or 55 rooms in the Meierhof."

If successful, I would find myself in Salzburg as soon as my UK passport comes back from Washington - ETA June 4, 2010.

I'm short listed with 2-3 others Jochen tells me and am awaiting an interview with Leith this week - then 1 short week after they will inform who indeed has the golden ticket.

Send your positivity this way and I promise you an amazing time at the Von Trap mansion!

xoxo
V

No comments:

Post a Comment